First Impressions of the Gel Quantum 360
It takes a lot for me to branch out from my usual Brooks Glycerin or my Saucony Triumphs. I’m a creature of both habit and comfort. So the fact that I actually purchased a pair of running shoes that were neither of these shoes is huge. However, when I slipped my foot in the new Asics Gel Quantum 360, I was literally blown away by their comfort. I have tried several Asics in the past and they just never seemed right for my foot, although I have countless friends that swear by them. This Asics Gel Quantum 360 was unlike anything I have worn. It was so soft and incredibly cushiony. I was devastated I had to order my size because I wanted to wear them home I was so excited. I was over the top excited.
The Shoe Specs
- The Quantum 360 is a neutral cushion shoe – with 360 degrees of gel cushion! (That’s the most gel ever!)
- The upper is Asics’s Asymmeetrical Fluidfit Upper – the stretch mesh is extremely comfortable and fits like a glove.
- Inlcudes the Asics Full Length Trusstic System – Science, guys – it’s awesome. Energy is collected and released for a spring loaded ride.
- One thing that I immediately noticed is the thick 5.5 mm sock liner inside the shoe. It creates a very soft and comfortable feel, noticeably different from other Asics and really all other running shoes in general. (It’s awesome!)
- The shoe is a little bit slimmer and more snug in the mid foot, especially compared to a Glycerin or a Ride.
After a few runs in them and a few gym workouts, I am adjusting. I will say that the gel cushion in the mid sole is more firm and less flexible than what I am used to with the Brooks or Saucony shoes. It does soften up some as I wear them, but probably will not have the flexibility I am used to. It is an incredible shoe though and it gives you the cushion and the bounce, but without any of the “squishiness” (technical term). It is definitely not a lightweight running shoe. The women’s weighs in at about 9.9 ounces, which is heavier than most shoes. (Men’s weighs in at about 12 ounces) However it feels fairly light because of the way the weight is dispersed. I also noticed that for me they seemed to run a little longer than I am used to and I could have gone down a half size.
A Runner’s Review
Overall the shoe is impressive and it is worth trying, even if you typically don’t run in Asics. The Gel Quantum 360 could potentially be a new favorite for many runners. And did I mention the colors are fabulous? It is a great looking shoe! I expect even more improvements in the future as Asics comes out with new revisions. You will be cheating yourself if you don’t at least go try this shoe on. My advice is bring the shoes you are running in currently and compare. There are noticeable differences that may be just what you and your feet are looking for! The shoe is worth it!